Building your maternity wardrobe can be daunting, and we want to take the stress away! Here are The Twin Source’s maternity wardrobe must-haves:
- White button-down shirt. The ultimate in classic dressing, this crisp and clean piece brings a polished look to any ensemble.
- Black turtleneck. A little sophistication goes a long way, especially during pregnancy. And, a nice slimming black all the way to your neck is great when you’re feeling bigger than you’d like.
- Premium denim. Worth the splurge, this is the only designer piece we recommend investing in. The cut and the denim treatment found in the premium lines (such as 7 for all Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, and Hudson) really do make a difference in creating a flattering fit. The style is up to you—boot cut, skinny, capri, etc.—but go for the good stuff when it comes to maternity jeans.
- Black leggings. The must-have of must-haves. You will wear these with everything, from the earliest days of your pregnancy right through your post-partum stage. Flattering, comfortable, and up-to-date.
- Black pants. Because they can be worn to work or on date night, a nice pair of black pants will be a foundational piece in your maternity wardrobe just as they are in your regular one. Focus on fit and quality.
- Long-sleeve tees. These great layering pieces bring a sense of balance to your wardrobe. Wear them alone with jeans or under ponchos or vests. Buy tees that are cotton blended with spandex or Lycra so they will stretch as your body grows but will also hold their shape.
- Hanes tank tops. These white, ribbed, men’s tank tops are sold in packs of six for about $5 at your superstore. Wear them with everything, under everything, at all times. So comfy, so long, so durable. Perfection, pregnant or not.
- Long sweater. Invest in one really great long (from mid-thigh to knee length) sweater that you love in basic black or gray. Throw it on over leggings with great flats or boots for a perfect look with almost zero effort.
- Maxi dresses. If you live in a warm climate or are pregnant during the summer months, the maxi dress will be your new best friend. It’s a one-piece outfit that is cool in the heat and covers you all the way to your toes.
- Velour pants. Low-waisted, drawstring, wide-leg pants in super soft velour will keep you comfortable and cozy during your lounge time.
- Cute PJs. It’s amazing how much time you spend in your pajamas right after your babies are born, and especially if you are on bed rest beforehand. Having cheerful, cozy, and comfortable pajamas can really help your morale in unexpected ways. We love the old-fashioned style of pants with a button-down shirt—great for breast-feeding and yet modest enough for visitors.
- Accessories. Paying attention to accessorizing is the best way to look great during your pregnancy. Three accessories we love: belts, scarves, and wedge shoes. Adding belts to otherwise shapeless shirts and dresses shows off your belly and makes for a very flattering silhouette. Scarves draw attention to your face and away from your lower body. They also create a sense of scale, which can help make your very big belly look more proportionate to the rest of your body. Wedges are super-stylish while also very comfortable, and they add height without testing your balance.
Check out The Twin Source’s maternity fashion slideshow for more tips and ideas!
Jessica is a mommy of three. She has a degree in fashion and the equivalent in childproofing a cool modern lifestyle.